Smoothies (mainly green ones) have been my ultimate favorite foods for years now. Here’s my very first green smoothie posting from 2010. They’re such quick to make and nutritious, great for breakfast, lunch, snack or dessert. Many green smoothie enthusiasts suggest a 60/40 formula (60% fruit, 40% leafy greens) to make the perfect green smoothie, but that is way too sweet for my taste. Therefore I flip it around and use 60% greens and 40% fruit. Sometimes I use even less fruit. My husband for example likes his smoothies as little sweet as possible so I use only 1/2 pear or apple to sweeten his smoothies. And this is a guy who just a year ago was addicted to soda, juice and candy. People really can change their bad ways when they set their mind to it.
Tips for making the perfect smoothie:
– Freeze your fruits and berries so there’s no need for ice.
– Use coconut water, almond milk, coconut milk or water as liquid. I sometimes use even kombucha if I’m low on fruits.
– Get creative with your greens and keep switching them up weekly.
My favorites are kale, swiss chard, collards, romaine lettuce, bok choy, parsley, cilantro and beet greens.
– To get a perfectly smooth mixture blend greens with the liquid base at first and then add the fruits or berries and blend again.
– When on the run or pressed with time I buy fresh squeezed juice and mix it with portable greens powder like Aloha. Perfect for traveling!