Hey sweet darlings! It’s been beautiful here in Northern California and we just had a wonderful long weekend trip to Monterey Peninsula exploring Pacific Grove, Monterey and the story book town Carmel-By-The-Sea (I’ve posted about Carmel previously here). I also made a commitment to get my body moving by purchasing a membership to a yoga studio near my job. It has given me such great energy now that I’ve quit drinking coffee. I still treat myself in the morning before work, but instead of my usual almond milk mocha, I now get almond milk matcha without any syrup.
This weekend I also had more time to get into essential oils that I received from Aroma Foundry recently. Aroma Foundry is based in California and was created to bring the scents of the world into your home, and end any debate over what each essential oil varietal should smell like. By focusing on sourcing native oils, they eliminate questions of whether each scent smells like it should. They source oils where they are first known to have appeared, therefore they represent the true essence of the plant ingredient. We have an essential oil diffuser at home, I’ve been making my own facial toner with these oils, as well as a yoga mat spray and air freshener, but I was curious what other ways I can use them. I found hundreds of ideas and collected my favorites here:
Essential Oil Remedies
- Migraine headache relief: Try combining a few drops of lavender oil and peppermint oil and apply to temples to help with headaches and migraines.
- Soothe bug bites: Use lavender oil for bug bites and stings.
- Improve concentration: Inhale bergamot, grapefruit or peppermint oil to increase concentration.
- Relieve hangover symptoms: Add six drops each of juniper berry, cedarwood, grapefruit, lavender, rosemary and lemon oil into a warm bath.
- Curb food cravings: Inhale peppermint and cinnamon oil to reduce your appetite and balance blood sugar.
- Soothe a sunburn: Combine lavender or chamomile oil with one tablespoon of coconut oil and apply to the skin with a cotton ball to reduce swelling and pain.
- Boost immune system: Mix one drop of oregano oil with four drops of carrier oil and rub on the bottom of your feet before flying on a plane.
Essential Oil Uses for Skin and Beauty
- Natural perfume: Use 1-2 drops of jasmine essential oil on your wrist as a fresh natural fragrance. Lavender and vanilla also agree with most women, while cypress and clove work well for men’s cologne.
- Homemade shampoo: Mix lavender oil, rosemary oil, aloe vera gel and coconut milk. Lasts 2-4 weeks.
- Sugar scrub: Mix a few drops of an essential oil with almond oil and rock salt or sugar.
- Homemade toothpaste: Combine sea salt, baking soda, coconut oil and xylitol with peppermint essential oil
- Itchy scalp: Add lavender, cedarwood or basil essential oil to shampoo to reduce itching.
- Thicken hair: Add rosemary to shampoo to naturally thicken hair and increase volume.
- Cure dandruff: Mix five drops of rosemary and lavender essential oils with three tablespoons of unscented oil. Massage into your scalp and leave on for 10 minutes. Shampoo mixture out.
- Natural skin toner: Mix eight ounces of water with two drops of lavender, geranium and frankincense.
- Heal dry cracked feet: Add three drops of lavender oil to two tablespoons of coconut oil. Apply to the feet at night and put on some socks.
Essential Oil Uses for Cleaning and Home
- All-purpose cleaner: Add three drops each of lemon oil and tea tree oil to a few ounces of warm water.
- Clean air: Diffuse cinnamon essential oil in the air and enjoy its anti-microbial properties.
- Washing machine: Add 10-20 drops of your favorite scent per load.
- Vacuum cleaner: Add 5-10 drops of your favorite oil in your vacuum bag or dust container.
- Eliminate mold: Add tea tree oil to your diffuser to kill mold and other pathogens in the air.
- Christmas scent: Add a drop of pine, sandalwood or cedarwood oil on a fire log about 30 minutes before burning.
- Bathtub scrub: Mix one-half cup of baking soda, one-half cup of vinegar and five drops of bergamot or lime oil; use as a scrub for a sink or bathtub.
- Freshen trash can: Put a cotton ball with two drops each of lemon oil and tea tree oil at the bottom of the trashcan to help decrease the odor and detoxify.
- Get rid of shoe smell: To remove the smell from shoes, add a few drops of tea tree oil and lemon oil to freshen them up.