I recently managed to get sick on the flight from San Francisco to Finland (that was a whopping 11 hours on the plane + another 7 on the airports) despite taking most precautions. I ate super healthy the morning before flight, took extra vitamins to build up my immune, brought healthy snacks to the flight, tried not to touch anything before disinfecting my seat area on the plane (seat belt buckle, touch screen etc.) with disinfecting wipes.
It could be though, that without taking these precautions I might have been sicker way longer than I was. I started feeling ill very sudden in the middle of the night and the next day I just stayed home. Luckily the next night I got a fever that killed the bug and then I started immediately my road to recovery.
I usually do get sick once a year and it lasts just 24-48 hours so it was right on time. I like to think that my body wants to put my immune system in test once per year to reset it.
5 Ways to Stay Healthy While Traveling
1.Pack healthy foods
- Easy to transport and store: trailmix, granola bars, green juice and smoothie powders, organic herbal tea, organic oatmeal packs, dark chocolate for sweet cravings, chopped pineapple, mango, apple, grapes and so on.
- For my last flight I brought with me apple slices with almond butter in between and crack bread with vegan tuna salad (smashed chickpeas, mayo, onion, mustard, salt, pepper, lemon juice, celery salt).
- Research where the healthy restaurants, cafes and stores are near your hotel and the sights you’re planning to see. I always look up the closest juice bar so I know where to head first thing in the morning to get my green juice.
- Bring your own water bottle to make shakes with green and protein powders and to have water around at all times. You can fill the bottle at the hotel gym (which is what I usually do for filtered water). THIS is my favorite bottle.
5. Eat from light to heavy
- Fruit always on an empty stomach
- Salad first before heavier foods
- More tips to keep your digestion on point with correct food combining HERE.